Advising & Teaching
I co-supervise the following PhD students as part of the Public Interest AI Research Group at HIIG:
- Freya Hewett → Automatic (German) Text Simplification
- Judith Fassbender → Design Patterns for Public Interest AI
- Sami Nenno → Claim Spotting: the Role and Automation of Fact-Checking
Previously, I co-supervised Dr. René Mahieu. René succseffuly defened his dissertation on The Right of Access to Personal Data in the EU: A Legal and Empirical Analysis at Vrije Universiteit Brussel in 2023.
In 2023, I’ve guest lectured at Göttingen University on Problems of Technology for Society (part of the Bachelor of Data Science program), and at Erfurt University on “AI for the Public Interest” (part of the bachelor course “Künstliche Intelligenz als Herausforderung der Demokratie”).
In previous years, I taught the following technology policy courses (mostly at TU Delft):
- MOT1452—Inter- and Intra- Organizational Decision Making: 2016-2020 (course manager & main instructor) and 2012-2015 (TA)
- SEN1151—Law and Institutions: 2017-2019 (guest lecturer for privacy law)
- MOT2004—Preparation for Master Thesis: 2019-2020 (digital economy theme)
- SEN1311—CoSEM Research Challenges: 2018 (privacy engingeering theme)
- EPA1101—International Grand Challenges: 2017 (privacy governance theme)
- MOT1003—Integration Moment: 2017-2018 (guest lecturer for IT policy)
- TB321IA—Governance Specialization ICT: 2012-2015 and 2017-2018 (guest lecturer for internet gov.)
- SPM5440—Cyber Security Essentials: 2013 (guest lecturer for security economics)
I have also taught at the following summer schools:
- MEAC Summer School on Internet Governance (organized by RIPE, ISOC, ICANN, and others): 2018 (Cairo) and 2019 (Rabat)
- Interdisciplinary Summer School on Privacy (organized by Radboud University and others): 2017
Between 2013 and 2020, I supervised the following multi-disciplinary master thesis projects relating to technology policy topics (as first supervisor):
Last Update: Oct 2023.